summaryrefslogtreecommitdiff
path: root/BoardOfDirectors/IrcLogs/2015/10-15.mdwn
blob: 722121d121b327453a6c4de101bcefee0fa8348c (plain)
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
99
100
101
102
103
104
105
106
107
108
109
110
111
112
113
114
115
116
117
118
119
120
121
122
123
124
125
126
127
128
129
130
131
132
133
134
135
136
137
138
139
140
141
142
143
144
145
146
147
148
149
150
151
152
153
154
155
156
157
158
159
160
161
162
163
164
165
166
167
168
169
170
171
172
173
174
175
176
177
178
179
180
181
182
183
184
185
186
187
188
189
190
191
192
193
194
195
196
197
198
199
200
201
202
203
204
205
206
207
208
209
210
211
212
213
214
215
216
217
218
219
220
221
222
223
224
225
226
227
228
229
230
231
232
233
234
235
236
237
238
239
240
241
242
243
244
245
246
247
248
249
250
251
252
253
254
255
256
257
258
Date is 2015-10-15, times are UTC+1.  
[[!format txt """
22:47 -!- secretary [~secretary@212-51-149-109.fiber7.init7.net] has joined #xf-bod
22:47 < whot_> all hail the secretary bot!
22:54 < danvet> it replies when you ping it ...
22:57 < whot_> secretary: ping
22:58 < whot_> must have an awful ping time :)
22:58 < danvet> secretary, howdy
22:58 < secretary> danvet: I'm just the secretary, dutifully keeping logs of this meeting
22:58 < danvet> likes me more ;-)
22:59 < whot_> hehe
22:59 -!- whot_ is now known as whot
22:59 < danvet> it's not terribly bright
23:00 <+egbert> hi guys!
23:00 -!- robclark [~robclark@nat-pool-bos-t.redhat.com] has joined #xf-bod
23:00 < danvet> hi all!
23:00 <+egbert> secretary, hi!
23:00 < whot> danvet: the board secretary doesn't have to be :)
23:00 < secretary> egbert: I'm just the secretary, dutifully keeping logs of this meeting
23:00 -!- marcoz [~oftc-webi@masquerade.micron.com] has joined #xf-bod
23:00 < danvet> whot, a perk of the job
23:01 < mupuf_> hey al
23:01 < danvet> agd5f, marcoz, mupuf_ 
23:01 < mupuf_> sorry for the late
23:01 < danvet> keithp, ping too
23:02 < danvet> we should have everyone now, so agenda
23:02 < stukreit> (treasurer here)
23:02 < danvet> bylaws, evoc, travel, expo.x.org
23:02 < danvet> anything else?
23:03 < agd5f> hello
23:03 < marcoz> Hi danvet, mupuf_ stukreit agd5f 
23:03 < marcoz> hi whot 
23:04 < danvet> I guess we can start with travel/evoc
23:04 < mupuf_> marcoz: Hi marcoz!
23:04 < danvet> stukreit, updates from juliet's payement?
23:05 < stukreit> yes, the second attempt to send the $500 has succeeded. She informed me yesterday
23:05 < danvet> so what happened to the first one?
23:06 < stukreit> and her aunt/sister ("my mother's daughter" is how she described her) gave me a US bank account number
23:06 < stukreit> our bank informed me that the first wire did not go through.
23:06 < danvet> iirc the first one was stuck somewhere in the catacombs of us banking ...
23:06 < danvet> ah ok, so we're all set (expect probably a few fees)?
23:06 < stukreit> I asked them why they didn't refund the $35 fee..
23:07 < stukreit> dunno who's catacombs. Probably Cameroon's catacombs
23:07 < stukreit> So, if the board agrees, I will send the next payment to her "aunt's" US account.
23:07 < stukreit> or sister
23:07 < danvet> banks don't refund fees worldwide :(
23:08 <+egbert> +1 
23:08 < stukreit> anyway, Ngassa has a GSOC relationship, so that's a positive
23:08 < danvet> imo that's ok, +1
23:08 < robclark> stukreit, +1
23:08 < danvet> agd5f, whot, keithp, marcoz ^^
23:09 < marcoz> +1
23:09 < danvet> mupuf_, ^^
23:09 < stukreit> the vote is so that in case an Agency contacts me about this I can say I asked the committee if everyone was cool with it.
23:09 < mupuf_> sorry
23:09 < mupuf_> +1
23:10 < danvet> yeah, sounds good, I'll record
23:10 < danvet> stukreit, do we still have something pending from xdc?
23:10 < whot> +1
23:10 < danvet> last minutes say marek and the bill from the university are still pending
23:10 < agd5f> +1
23:11 < stukreit> I sent money to Jake and Marek, still haven't gotten a bill from Seneca
23:12 <+egbert> agd5f: do you know if Tom has info about the bill?
23:12 < agd5f> egbert, not sure, but I can ping him
23:13 < danvet> agd5f, I've made a note
23:13 < danvet> thx
23:13 < stukreit> agd5f:  your last ping to Tom was on 10/1
23:13 < danvet> yeah we had that ping in the last meeting too ;-)
23:13 < agd5f> yeah, I'll ping him again
23:14 < danvet> so I guess that's it for travel/sponsoring
23:14 < danvet> stukreit, thx for keeping track of all this
23:14 < danvet> next up: bylaws
23:14 < stukreit> sure thing
23:15 < danvet> still missing acks from half the board on the bylaws mupus posted to board@ ...
23:15 < mupuf_> yes, I think I left enough time since the last read that it makes sense for me to check it again
23:15 < mupuf_> and send another ack
23:15 < danvet> that's egbert, whot, robclark & keithp I think
23:15 < mupuf_> (on top of the implied one of me sending it :D)
23:15 < danvet> mupuf_, I figured since you've sent it you acked it too ;-)
23:16 < whot> sorry, still catching up from my vacation, will do this asap
23:16 < mupuf_> right :D
23:16 < robclark> oh.. hmm, that thread probably has dropped off the first page of my inbox by now..
23:16 < danvet> there's about 2 mails per week for board@, it's not much :-P
23:17 < danvet> anyway, what else do we need to do to get spi ready for voting next year?
23:17  * danvet has no clue at all
23:17 < danvet> mupuf_, ?
23:18 < mupuf_> hard to tell
23:18 < mupuf_> it all depends on what you guys think
23:18 < mupuf_> I think that was all
23:18 < danvet> well I guess we need to ask them whether we can join spi or something like that ...
23:19 < robclark> danvet, yeah, I just need to filter it into it's own folder ;-)
23:19 < danvet> I wasn't around when that happened last time around
23:19 < agd5f> just heard back from Tom, he hasn't gotten the bill yet from Seneca, he's pinning them again
23:19 < mupuf_> there is the SFLC we wanted to contact, hence why I sent the email
23:19 < danvet> agd5f, thx
23:19 < robclark> ok, looks like just the two commits to bylaws since last version I looked at (assuming pdf in email matches 408f6e69)..
23:19 < whot> I'm pretty sure we need to approach SPI again, they need to extend their offer for us to join (the last one has expired)
23:20 < danvet> whot, who's done that last time around?
23:20 <+egbert> i think the idea was to do this when we are ready.
23:20 < whot> danvet: the secretary :P
23:20 < danvet> meh ...
23:20 <+egbert> that's what i remember at least
23:20 < danvet> oh well
23:20 < danvet> egbert, I've read somewhere it takes them a while to vote and all that
23:20 <+egbert> keithp has done that
23:20 < whot> egbert: yeah, we timed it so we were ready for voting and had the offer from SPI, once without the other doesn't make sense
23:21 < danvet> ok
23:21 < whot> oh, right, keithp pinged them at first. I just handled all the official bits after
23:21 <+egbert> they need a board meeting where they vote on this.
23:21 < whot> yep, and that can take a while
23:21 < danvet> there's been at least some review of the bylaws by them
23:22 < danvet> so we'd need to ping them again I guess once we're ok with the updated bylaws
23:22 <+egbert> i believe keithp also knows how often their board meetings take place
23:22 < danvet> but really no clue
23:22 < mupuf_> egbert: it was every month IIRC
23:22 < danvet> yeah keithp seems to not be around, probably travelling he said iirc
23:22 <+egbert> last time we had 90 days after the invitation to do our election.
23:22 < danvet> mupuf_, you have contacts?
23:22 < whot> http://www.spi-inc.org/meetings/
23:22 < mupuf_> The by-laws state that this must happen at least quarterly, but we aim for a monthly meeting at 20:30 UTC on the second Thursday of the month.
23:22 < whot> "monthly on the second thu"
23:23 < mupuf_> danvet: no contacts at all
23:23 < whot> mupuf_ can google too :)
23:23 < danvet> yeah cheap excuses
23:23 < mupuf_> whot: yeepee!
23:23 < mupuf_> danvet: ah ah, no seriously though
23:23 < danvet> anyway sounds like nothing to except read them bylaws
23:23 < mupuf_> I really have no contacts
23:23 < mupuf_> waaaaaiiiiitttt!!!
23:23 < mupuf_> I DO!
23:23 < danvet> hah, volunteered
23:24 < danvet> mupuf_, can you send the bylaws to those mysterious contacts too to double-check they'd still be ok?
23:24 < mupuf_> they will have to vote and give us 90 days
23:24 < mupuf_> so it is too early, I would like to have SFLC on the line so as we can discuss about how we could give them our status
23:25 < mupuf_> and in favour of this, they would review our bylaws :D
23:25 < mupuf_> but this time, I REALLY do not have any contacts!
23:25  * danvet confused
23:25 < danvet> what's SFLC now in there doing?
23:25 < mupuf_> SFLC got us our status
23:25 < mupuf_> we contacted them years ago
23:26 < whot> no, we can ask SPI that if they offer an invitation it be valid until after the board election in $month
23:26 < mupuf_> whot: oh, ok
23:26 < whot> I think the 90 day time limit is just the default, we can modify that
23:26 < danvet> yeah there's exception possible, as long as it's not unreasonable long iirc
23:26 < mupuf_> and SFLC said they were interested in keeping the status for us because the situation changed and it is very hard to create a new 501.3c (or whatever the numbers were)
23:28 < danvet> that sounds mighty complicated
23:29 < danvet> anyway really need to get those bylaws acked now, so I guess we'll move on to expo.x.org migration
23:29 < danvet> robclark, any more movement since that mail with daniels?
23:29 < mupuf_> ack
23:29 < robclark> danvet, no.. need to re-ping daniels..
23:30 < danvet> hm :(
23:30 < robclark> somehow I was thinking mtg was next week so I still had some time ;-)
23:30 < danvet> nope ;-)
23:30 < danvet> it's always one week earlier than you think
23:31 < danvet> robclark, can you pls also push for the mail relay account thing that keithp's been talking about?
23:31 < robclark> heh, sigh..
23:31 < robclark> I thought that was already set up.. I just need to find a time when both keithp and I are around at the same time?
23:32 < whot> theory goes you're even in the same time zone :)
23:32 < danvet> well practically. same continent at least
23:32 < danvet> anyway, I'd say that's well volunteered ;-)
23:32 < danvet> do we have anything else?
23:32 < whot> oh, right. keithp is still west coast, isn't it
23:33 < whot> GSoC seems to be starting up again, are we joining in again? agd5f, mupuf_?
23:33 < mupuf_> What?
23:33 < mupuf_> Already? :o
23:33 < agd5f> whot, it's always sooner than you think :)
23:33 < danvet> oh that's starting up already again?
23:34  * danvet had no clue
23:34 < agd5f> not really much to do until feb IIRC
23:34 < mupuf_> yes
23:34 < mupuf_> they just had their reunion
23:35 < whot> sign up as org is all that's needed, I think. didn't read the deadlines, I just remember the mail floating past
23:35 < mupuf_> at some point, someone will have to go there :D
23:35 < mupuf_> we NEVER go there
23:35 < mupuf_> there is nothing on google-melange yet for the GSoC 2016
23:35 < danvet> ok, sounds good
23:36 < stukreit> do you mean go to mountain view? Its in my neighborhood
23:37 < danvet> oh almost forgotten: I'm offline/travelling the next 2 mtgs
23:37 < danvet> whot, can you pls take over interim?
23:37 < whot> np
23:38 < danvet> thx
23:38 < mupuf_> stukreit: really? why do you never propose to go then? Maybe I should forward this kind of invitations to the board actually :s
23:38 < mupuf_> I just assumed or asked, can't remember
23:38 < danvet> I think that's it, if no one pipes up I'll close this mtg now a bit early
23:38 < danvet> ok?
23:38 < agd5f> they pay for the travel too in some cases
23:38 < whot> works for me
23:38 < stukreit> the problem is I am not equipped to mentor the cutting edge projects. We're always doing catchup things
23:38 -!- jcristau [~jcristau@topinambour.cristau.org] has quit [Remote host closed the connection]
23:39 < agd5f> stukreit, I don't think it matters for the meetup as long as you were an mentor or an admin
23:39 < whot> and you can sign up as mentor and not mentor anything. still gets you a free t-shirt :)
23:39 < mupuf_> we still need to talk about XDC
23:40 < stukreit> I once asked to attend and they refused. perhaps I should pursue those other avenues. I'm probably the only sw eng in the bay area who hasn't had lunch at google cafeteria
23:40 < mupuf_> lol
23:40 < danvet> oh dear right, totally forgotten xdc 2016
23:40 < danvet> everyone still here?
23:40 < marcoz> FINLAND!!!!! WOOT!
23:41 < agd5f> maybe we should reschedule for summer :)
23:41 < robclark> mupuf_, I think we'd need to know length of day vs proposed dates for anything that far north ;-)
23:41 < marcoz> sorry, I'm supposed to be unbiased until after the vote right?
23:41 < danvet> so everyone read the proposal from mupuf/intel
23:41 < danvet> robclark, sept is fairly even worldwide
23:41 < whot> mupuf_: what's the required deadline for a decision. theory goes there could be another proposal (unlikely) so maybe we should wait a bit
23:41 < mupuf_> robclark: around this time of the year, it is the same as the ones for XDC2015
23:42 < danvet> so definitely not party until 6am because never dark ;-)
23:42 < whot> or, if nothing else put a public tender out. not sure if this really matters, I think everyone is mostly happy to have one proposal :)
23:42 < mupuf_> if we want that, we will need to move the conference to the end of june
23:42 < mupuf_> but students will be long gone
23:43 < mupuf_> so it would be end of May :D
23:43 < mupuf_> which is waaaayyyy too early
23:43 < mupuf_> so..
23:43 < danvet> sept is fine imo
23:43 < mupuf_> yeah, and the temperature is normal
23:43 < agd5f> we should probably shoot out a RFP just in case, but I'm fine with finland
23:43 < danvet> whot, never done the process, I figured you just submit something for the next xdc ...
23:43 < danvet> not aware of anything else
23:44 < danvet> I guess I can send a mail to members@ asking for other proposals by the next mtg so the board can decide?
23:44 < mupuf_> that sounds reasonable
23:44 < mupuf_> we never had to do it
23:44 < mupuf_> I did not want us to just commit to this one
23:44 <+egbert> no, we never did.
23:44 <+egbert> not sure if members would be the right list.
23:45 < whot> there isn't really a process, except for last year we never had more than one proposal. so the question is mainly whether we are happy with .fi or give others the chance to offer another alternative. there's no rules either, we can make them up as we go along
23:45 < mupuf_> just that we need a date by which we can start committing 
23:45 <+egbert> the audience there is a bit limited.
23:45 < mupuf_> so as we can spend more time on it
23:45 < danvet> mupuf_, did kimmo say anything about when he needs the confirmation?
23:45 < mupuf_> nope, I guess the sooner the better
23:45 <+egbert> i don't think we need to wait any longer.
23:45 < whot> imo a public-enough process would be to email the usual lists (where the announcements go) with a request for proposals about next year's XDC
23:46 < danvet> egbert, there's a bunch there from intel and former nokians right in helsinki
23:46 < danvet> but more expensive than europe usually is for european students, but not much I'd say
23:46 <+egbert> danvet: i know.
23:46 < whot> but again, this is mostly for transparency purposes, nothing stops is with going with the first offer
23:46 <+egbert> exactly.
23:47 < danvet> ok, I'll self-volunteer to send out a mail to usual suspects and then we can vote in 2 weeks
23:47 < danvet> that ok?
23:47 < agd5f> +1
23:47 < danvet> +1
23:47 <+egbert> +1
23:48 < whot> +1
23:48 < robclark> +1
23:48 < marcoz> +1
23:48 < mupuf_> +1
23:49 < danvet> excellent
23:49 < mupuf_> there is also nvidia in helsinki
23:49 < mupuf_> and laurent pinchart
23:50 < danvet> laurent doesn't live there, but he is there fairly often ...
23:50 < danvet> at least that's what I've thought
23:50 < mupuf_> oh, ok
23:51 < danvet> ok, I hope that's all
23:51 < danvet> if no one pipes up while I finish the minutes I'll close this now
23:51 < danvet> thx a lot everyone
23:52 < marcoz> later have a good one!
23:52 <+egbert> thanks! good night!
23:52 < robclark> sounds good, let me know if you know when keithp is back and I'll ping him for that half of the expo email saga..
23:52 < mupuf_> good night!
"""]]